International Current Affaris - March 2016
- China’s navy has launched its first self-propelled floating dock, giving it the ability to repair warships far from the coast on 2nd March.
- The dock, Huachuan No. 1, would enable the navy to return damaged ships to fighting capability “in very rapid time” and was designed to be sent into combat zones.
- United States and South Korean troops began large-scale military exercises in peninsula an annual test of their defenses against North Korea on 7th March.
- The 8-week long drill will involve about 300000 South Korean troops and 15000 United States personnel.
- These are being conducted near the demilitarized zone separating the two Koreas and off the eastern coast of South Korea.
- The Arab League has declared Lebanese movement Hezbollah, a Shia political organisation a terrorist group on 11th March. This move comes after the GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) had adopted the same stance.
- Supreme Court of China's is setting up its own international maritime "judicial centre" to handle territorial disputes.
- It was announced by Chief Justice Zhou Qiang at the annual meeting of the national legislature National People’s Congress (NPC).
- The decision has been taken to ensure the protection of country's sovereignty and rights at sea.
- Vladimir Putin’s homegrown credit-ratings firm is up and running and foreign competitors are already feeling the heat.
- Its joint venture in Moscow of 12 years and it will probably stop issuing local ratings on Russian companies,the ACRA, which stands for Analytical Credit Rating Agency, applied for a license to operate in Russia.
- 9th International Abilympics started at Bordeaux in France. Abilympics is coined from Olympics of abilities of persons with disabilities.
- It is a global work skills competition held every 4 years. The event aims to promote social awareness in the field of skills development and employment both locally and internationally and foster friendship among the competing nations.
- The 13th edition of India-European Union Summit was held on in Brussels, capital of Belgium.
- The 13th summit laid out concrete priority actions for the strategic bilateral partnership in areas like trade and investment, climate, energy, water and migration in the next five years.