National Current Affairs - February 2016
- The Government of India, Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) has agreed to set up India’s first defense industrial park at Ottappalam a proposal from the Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation.
- The Government of Himachal Pradesh in the 1st week of February 2016 decided to spend Rs.15 crore on Swachh Bharat Mission in tribal district of Kinnaur.
- Under the Mission, the 1st installment of Rs.4 crore 50 lakh rupees has been received by the district authorities. Every single household will be given Rs.12,000 for toilet construction for which survey was conducted in the year 2012.
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi will arrive at Kozhikode early on 2nd Feb to open the 'vision conclave’ of the Global Ayurveda Fest.
This is the first time Modi is visiting Kozhikode after taking over as Prime Minister.
- The National Pension System (NPS)now has 1.15 crore subscribers, each with an average Rs. 95,000 of assets under management. ''The total assets under management are worth Rs. 1,09,140 crore while assets under management per subscriber is Rs. 95,000 on an average'', said the Finance Ministry on 2nd February, adding that the total corpus of the National Pension System is Rs. 90,327 crore.
- The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, 2005 completes ten years of implementation.
On this occasion, Union Ministry of Rural Development had organised The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee - MGNREGA SAMMELAN in New Delhi on February 3rd. Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley was Chief Guest in the Sammelan.
- Run by Ahmedabad-based businessman, Bharat Bhatt, the 32-seater restaurant serves a range of cuisine, which includes Thai, Mexican and Indian Food. Though the restaurant will only cater to the vegetarian palate.
- The Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi was apprised about signing of a Joint Declaration between the ministry of science and technology and the federal ministry of education and research of Germany on the extension of the tenure of the “Indo-German Science and Technology Centre (IGSTC)” on 5th February.
- Total 11,000 guests are expected to attend the mega naval exercise including members of foreign delegations. It is perceived to be the biggest exercise conducted in India so far.
- Maharashtra’s ambitious plans to set up India’s first international arbitration centre in Mumbai.
In the absence of an international arbitration centre, the majority of global disputes land at the Singapore International Arbitration Centre. Overseas disputes arbitration, if pursued in Mumbai, would bring revenue worth Rs. 2 billion.
- The Indian government has sanctioned Rs. 580 crore for the vital rail link. As it expected to complete the work on the 15-km-long train line to connect Akhaura with Agartala in that country by 2017.
The entire project cost would be borne by the Center and over Rs. 1,000 crore was sanctioned for completion of the track in Bangladesh side.
- Union Environment Ministry released Draft National Wildlife Action Plan (2017-2031) on February 11th.
Draft National Wildlife Action Plan was prepared by the Committee under the chairmanship of JC Kala was released by Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate.
The Committee was constituted by the MoEF to review the implementation of the National Wildlife Action Plan (2002-2016) and to suggest a new Plan of Action for Wildlife Conservation.
- Union Health Minister launched National Framework for Elimination of Malaria 2016-2030 on 12th February.
Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Jagat Prakash Nadda released the National Framework for Malaria Elimination 2016-2030 at New Delhi.
The framework outlines strategy of India for elimination of the disease by 2030.
- The first Mega Food Park (MFP) of Jharkhand was inaugurated at Getalsud village in Ranchi district on 14th Feb. Mega Food Park was inaugurated by Union Minister of Food Processing Industries Harsimrat Kaur Badal.
It was set up as a public private partnership project under the aegis of the Mega Food Park Scheme of the Union Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MFPI).
- West Bengal government launched a welfare scheme “Utkarsh Bangla” for school-dropouts, in Kolkata on 16th February.
- Prasar Bharati has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Empressa de Brazil Communicacao (EBC) in connection with several broadcast related activities including exchange of programmes, News and co-production.
This Memorandum of Understanding is being described as historical as it is the first agreement that Prasar Bharati has signed with any South American country.