State Current Affairs - February 2016
- Chinese technology company ZTE has inked a pact with the Government of Andhra Pradesh to work on smart city projects in the state. As a company associated with a number of smart city projects, the diversified technology and telecom major ZTE plans to engage itself with the state and work on the upcoming smart city projects in the State of Andhra Pradesh.
A memorandum of understanding (MoU) was inked between Special Secretary, Information and Technology, Andhra Pradesh Mr. GS Phani Kumar, and ZTE Soft MD SH Prasoon Sharma in the presence of State IT & Information Minister Palle Ragunath Reddy.
- The Ministry of Railways and Telangana State Government inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the formation of Joint Venture companies for development of railway infrastructure in the state.
The signing of MoU is going to be a stepping stone for formation of Joint Venture companies.
The MoU envisages formation of a Joint Venture companies having 51% stakes of the respective State Governments and 49% stakes of Ministry of Railways. Thus, the Joint Venture companies will be fully owned by the Government.
The most important aspect of the MoU is that the ownership of the land will vest with the Special Purpose Vehicles. This will give financial leverage to the company to exploit commercial potential of the land.
- The US Trade and Development Agency has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on 15th February with the Department of Municipal Administration of Andhra Pradesh state on funding for drawing up the master plan for Visakhapatnam Smart City and a consortium of three US companies, comprising AECOM, KPMG and IBM.
The MoU was signed by Principal Secretary Karikal Velavan and Country Manager of USTDA Heather K. Lanigan in the presence of Chief Minister and Director of USTDA Leocadila I Zak.
- The Minister of Union Information Technology, Ravi Shankar Prasad laid the foundation stone on 19th Feb for the Visakhapatnam centre of the Society for Applied Microwave Electronics Engineering and Research (SAMEER), an autonomous research institute under the Department of Electronics and Information Technology.
- Andhra Pradesh Government has appointed K. Narasimha Murthy as Advisor (Financial Services) in the rank of Special Chief Secretary on 22nd Feb.
A noted CA and member on board of financial institutions, the 58-year-old Narasimha Murthy has already been working as Member of Fiscal Management Committee of the State and Chairman of Financial Ponzi Schemes.
- Uber, the tech-based cab services firm, has opened a Centre of Excellence in Hyderabad on 25th Feb. And it’s first in Asia and fifth globally.
The four other centers are located in the US (2), Ireland and Poland.
Set up as part of the $50 million investment plan it announced for Hyderabad last year, the centre has about 150 employees. ''It will have a team of over 500 customer service employees by the end of 2017''.